Just over 47% of Hawaii is fully vaccinated. It’s not collective immunity – not even close.

Wearing a mask has proven to be globally effective in the fight against COVID-19. We also know that the honor system of people vaccinated without a mask will not be respected and that the unvaccinated will exploit it, as there is no way to determine who is or is not vaccinated.

Therefore, get vaccinated and continue to wear a mask so that we never have to shut down our economy again. We are on the verge of pushing back this pandemic. Let’s do it together.

Amy day

Makiki

Clean energy batteries pose a disposal problem

Scott G. Gier made some good points (“’Clean’ Energy Creates Mountain of Waste,” Star-Advertiser, Letters, May 4).

With the arrival of more electric vehicles and photovoltaic systems, there will be a huge number of batteries to be disposed of in the future. How will governments and industry deal with this problem? Is there a plan? Are environmentalists not concerned by this? Will it just create a different environmental nightmare?

I am sure that many municipalities like Honolulu have very serious waste disposal problems. If the batteries cannot be burnt in an installation like H-POWER, how will they be disposed of?

Gier also raises the fact that mining the metals to make batteries will affect third world cultures and environments, and usually not in a good way.

Phil Alencastre

Heights of Saint-Louis

Allow seniors to continue renewing their licenses by mail

I have read that Honolulu County will be suspending mail-in driver’s license renewals for licensees 72 years of age and older with “Gold Star” documents already on file, effective June 1 (“Why is Honolulu County Abandoning Popular Mail Renewals of Certain Driver’s Licenses?” Star-Advertiser, Kokua Line, May 27).

The reason for the change would be that it required the necessary staff to serve customers in person. What? I could reverse that argument and say that we should encourage renewal by mail in order to reduce the queue for renewals and avoid wasting time and gasoline getting to renewal locations.

This very popular option should be continued. I hope the city’s customer service rethinks their decision.

Louis faulkner

Hawaii kai

Estimate all cost factors in the rail wheel, track problem

When it comes to rail cost estimates between $ 2 million for wheel changes and over $ 5 million for new “frogs,” the big picture needs to be taken into account (“Research continues to fix the wheels too narrow and the tracks too wide on the Oahu rail, ”Star-Advertiser, May 16).

If Hitachi will receive $ 130,000 for each day of delay, that means that for each month the delay is approximately $ 4 million. An explanation of this cost of delay with avoided operating costs would help the public understand the situation.

The new wheels create a heavier car that costs more to operate. The Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation has mileage forecasts for the first 20 years of operation and knows how much energy it takes to propel current trains on the track. HART can determine the additional costs associated with operating heavier cars.

The likely long-term energy costs could be another factor. Cost estimates are available from Hawaiian Electric.

If these costs are presented, it would help the public to appreciate the factors HART will consider in making this decision.

Jon Yanagida

Mililani

The First Amendment allows for Trump’s many lies

What exactly is the First Amendment right to free speech? Does it give any citizen the right to say anything about anyone at any time?

Can you say, in public, that you are going to kill the President of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives or the Senate Majority Leader, or the Governor of your state, and that you will be free? I do not think so.

Can you repeatedly make a false statement – like former President Barack Obama was not born in Hawaii – and walk freely? The simple answer is yes. This has been repeated over and over again by Donald Trump and has been accepted as a fact. A repeated and repeated lie will ultimately be accepted as true. Unfortunately, this same person kept repeating, from August 2020, that if he lost the elections, it was because of fraud. Millions of Americans actually believe it today.

I have to pay homage to Trump, because his lies and widespread, unsupported statements make his supporters hope that he will participate in and win the 2024 presidential election.

Gilbert horita

Ala Moana

Name McKinley after the composer, not the president

To resolve the school name controversy, my suggestion is to rename the school William T. McKinley High School in honor of American composer William Thomas McKinley, who died in 2015. His many symphonic and concerto compositions spanning more of 40 years are known in the world of classical music. His Elegy for Strings is for me the most remarkable.

My suggestion solves several problems.

>> It eliminates the corrupt name of President William McKinley High School.

>> The name of William T. McKinley High School would pay homage to someone of the arts. McKinley High School has had a strong music program.

>> It preserves the tradition of eight generations of alumni who proudly call themselves “McKinley Graduates”.

Von Kenric Kaneshiro

Downtown Honolulu

Unrest and guns lead to violent clashes

Russia’s plan is simple.

Step 1: Continue to promote political division through social media and the like, then wait for other states to follow Texas lead with unlicensed open firearms.

Step 2: Simply sit back and enjoy the action as every road rage incident, political argument, and slight perception ignites a self-generated population reduction program among the best armed civilian population in history.

Harold Senter

Aina Haina


EXPRESS YOURSELF

The Honolulu Star-Advertiser welcomes all opinions. Do you want your voice to be heard? Send a letter to the editor.

>> Write U.S: We accept letters up to 150 words and guest columns from 500 to 600 words. We reserve the right to edit for clarity and length. Include your name, address, and daytime phone number.

>> To post: Letters to the Editor, Honolulu Star-Advertiser 7 Waterfront Plaza, 500 Ala Moana, Suite 210 Honolulu, HI 96813

>> Contact: 529-4831 (phone), 529-4750 (fax), [email protected], staradvertiser.com/editorial/submit-letter



Source link