news, national

An anonymous letter threatening the life of a man living in accommodation for people with disabilities in Adelaide failed to trigger a serious investigation by the police or the responsible service, it was learned in a report. hearing. Speaking under the pseudonym Victoria, the man’s aunt said the letter was sent to her home in Adelaide in March 2018. She then read it aloud at a Commission hearing royal on people with disabilities Monday. A housing services manager had previously been dismissed from her oversight duties in human residential care, and the letter says there was a petition to retain her in that role. “Her colleagues think this is unfair because she has been a great employee and advocate (of the Department of Communities and Social Inclusion) and your nephew, aka the piglet, for many years,” Victoria read. “I would like to point out that due to her professional work ethic and approachable approach, many staff members, 60 years old I believe, felt the need to support her and signed a petition to keep her in her role. “As you can imagine, the staff involved are angry and pissed off, which now puts your nephew in danger,” the letter reads. She suggests that the food could be poisoned, the shampoo replaced with acid, and the seat belts loose. “This little piglet is going to be abused with cruelty, violence, regularly and repeatedly,” Victoria read. She told Commissioners she was left in shock after receiving the letter at her home, but said she was never completely comfortable with her nephew’s service provider. “While I never expected to receive something like this, it was an underlying element that existed,” she said. The family did not believe the letter was from a member of the core support worker team, and interim measures were taken to improve the safety of her nephew. The case was brought before police who said they “did not see it as a direct threat” and believed it was an internal department matter, the commissioners said. However, during a meeting with the primary visitor from the South Australian community in October 2018, it was discovered that the relevant unit within the department “had not investigated or interviewed staff about the threat letter ”. The South Australia Ombudsman then reported on the case and also found that the letter had not been properly investigated, it was learned at the hearing. The Department of Social Services ultimately reopened an investigation, but no evidence was found to identify the author of the letter. The Royal Commission on Persons with Disabilities holds a week-long hearing in Adelaide. Associated Australian Press

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/silverstone-feed-data/fc685202-ac7b-456d-99e0-3b8c519121c9.jpg/r0_74_800_526_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg



Source link